Are you Verse 20 or 21?

19 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you. 20 For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare. 21 They all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. Philippians 2:19-21

My pastor spoke on these verses on Sunday. I can't get them out of my head. Verse 21 has got to be the saddest verse in all of Philippians.

Obviously Paul, while in prison, is surrounded by others than just Timothy, but only in Timothy does he find one is concerned deeply for the church, the Bride of Christ for which he suffered for. The others, they are there, but Paul sees in them a "self interest" and apparently no burden for the Bride.

So here is my question: If our pastors or elder councils were thinking of who they could send to plant a new church in another area of our community, or to send in order to encourage a missionary partner, or to be of encouragement and mentor another young believer or pastor, would they put us in the catagory of v. 20 or v. 21?

Oh God...Teach Me your way, that I may walk in your truth!

0 comments: